AMELIA EARHART SCHOLARSHIP – 2013
In memory of Linda Olivo
Zonta International – Atlantic City Area Club
FAA Air Transportation Centers of Excellence
The Zonta International Amelia Earhart Fellowships were established in 1938 in honor of Amelia Earhart, famed pilot and Zonta club member in New York and Boston. Fellowships are granted annually by Zonta International to women pursuing Ph.D./doctoral degrees in aerospace related sciences and aerospace related engineering programs.
One $1000 local Amelia Earhart scholarship is awarded annually to a high school or college student in memory of Linda Olivo, a dedicated employee of the FAA Wm. J. Hughes Technical Center. While working, mothering, and bravely battling her illness, Linda pursued far reaching personal, professional, and academic goals. She was a model of professionalism, strength and warmth for all.
The local Amelia Earhart award is sponsored by Jim Olivo in memory of his wife, Linda, and presented through the Zonta Club of the Atlantic City Area in coordination with the FAA Air Transportation Centers of Excellence. This special honor is open to women pursuing degrees in math, science and aerospace engineering.
Who is Eligible?
- pursuing an aviation related, math, science or STEM degree in an accredited college, or who are accepted or registered in a qualifying program
- who demonstrate a superior academic record in math, science or engineering as verified by a current transcript
- who may have overcome extraordinary obstacles while striving to reach their goals, and
- who may serve as a role model for others
What are the Requirements?
The applicants must:
- provide a cover letter with contact information to include: full name, mailing address, telephone number(s), e-mail address, and a
- letter of acceptance or verification of enrollment
- resume with employment history, limit 1 page
- academic transcript
- statement of academic, professional and personal goals, including personal challenges that have been successfully met, limit 1 page
- list of scholarships, fellowships, and honors received
- letter of recommendations from teachers, professors, academic advisors or employer(s)
In addition to the above, attachments such as articles, publications or additional information may be considered, although they are not required. There is no limit.
What is the Application Process and Deadline?
Applications may be mailed to Patricia Watts, FAA Centers of Excellence Program Office, Amelia Earhart Chair, Wm. J. Hughes Technical Center, Atlantic City Int’l Airport, NJ 08405 or e-mailed to Patricia.Watts@faa.gov. Applications must be received by COB May 1.
The local Zonta selection committee will review the applications, Jim and daughter Rachel will make the final selection for award. The local Zonta Club of the Atlantic City area will forward a check to the student’s university. This credit may be applied toward tuition, fees or related charges including books, supplies or equipment needed to satisfy academic requirements. All applicants will be notified of their status by May 15.